it | en | fr |
  • Landscape painting

    xix century

THE XIX CENTURY AND THE LANDSCAPE PAINTING





The second floor houses the collections belonging to the local XIX Century: portraits, landscapes, genre paintings and plaster statues.


The set-up starts with the works of Giovanni Avondo (1763 – 1830), last heir of the XVIII Century art: he succeeded Rocco Orgiazzi in 1799 as professor in the Drawing School of Varallo, building the next generation of local artists.
 



Among these stand out the names of Giuseppe Mazzola (1748 – 1838) and Michele Cusa (1799 – 1872), painters of Neoclassical taste Pier Celestino Gilardi, (1837 – 1905), mostly known for his genre paintings, and the engravers Silvestro Pianazzi (1807 – 1847) and Lorenzo Metalli (1809 – 1847), who illustrated the Turin Royal Gallery explained by Marquis dAzeglio (1836).

Giulio Arienta (1826 – 1900) and Emilio Contini (1876 – 1960) must be remembered also as first curators of the Pinacoteca, paying close attention to the problems of conservation of the pieces.

A particular place in the set-up is dedicated to landscape painting, a relevant theme in the XIX Century: the exposed panoramas transcend the naturalistic depiction of reality with an intimistic approach, in line with a common attitude in Piedmont art. This realistic tendency close to the Italian verismo can be traced back to Antonio Fontanesi (1818 – 1882) and characterises his Turin pupils Carlo Pollonera (1849 – 1923), Marco Calderini (1850 – 1941) and Lorenzo Delleani (1809 – 1847), but also the two local artists Eugenio Rappa (1886 – 1959) and Camillo Verno (1870 – 1942).

Sculpture is represented by a selection from the vast collection of plaster statues housed in the Museum: the exposed pieces were realised by Giacomo Ginotti (1845 – 1897) and Casimiro Debiaggi (1855 – 1939).